Sunday 14 April 2013

Experiment 3: Capture Aftermath



Sorry for the false alarm. Things have been occupying my attention and to tell you the truth I forgot I'd made it and so didn't cancel it. I'm leaving it up as however embarrasing it is it does describe the nature of the experiment. Speaking of, I should let you know what happened now that I can actually type.

The hardest part turned out be getting him to actually be within the range of the machine, and although he was sometimes picked up by the cameras it took several attempts over three days to get him into position. In the end I threw caution and scientific reason to the winds and used Setoth’s summoning circle, drawing it in the earth and muttering the words from the roof and feeling incredibly silly the entire time.

When he was in range I flicked the switch. Not long after there was the most horrible noise, like a spike being driven into your head through your ears. I’m still not entirely sure it wasn’t in my head, since it by rights should have alerted anyone within several blocks. It stopped after a few seconds and I unscrewed my eyes and cautiously looked above the parapet.

What I saw was a giddying sight. It was him, of course, and his form was struggling to maintain cohesion; it was all a mass of black writhing tentacles that melted and reformed from each other. It looked like he’d tried to smash the machine, since several of them were stuck in place as every metallic particle in them was being whipped back and forth at fifty hertz.

It was great material for a one liner, but all I heard was someone laughing and it took a few seconds to realize it was me. Oh, it was amazing, the heady feeling of turning the tables, of finally having power over it, instead of the other way around. It couldn’t last, and it didn’t.

In that mass of black that white face turned from the machine and looked up at me. And then a bevy of tentacles lashed out and sliced through a nearby tree, which fell on the machine with a crunch. The part of me that wasn’t completely freaking out now was celebrating the fact that I’d forced him to use an unorthodox tactic, but that too joined the rest when he rose up in front of me and the laughter died to a gurgle.

I’ve mentioned an ‘emoticon aura’ before. He seems to broadcast it in lieu of facial expressions, and from what I’ve read it mainly comes in four settings: Observation, Condescending Affection, Bafflement and I WILL MURDER YOU AND EVERYTHING YOU HOLD DEAR. Guess which one was practically flattening me to the ground in fear. I knew, right then and there, that I was dead. Well, I thought, that’s a relief. Then I was smacked against the concrete of the other side of the roof so hard I swear I heard my skull crack.

It didn’t stop there. He continued to smack me around with tentacles that burnt to the touch again and again and again and again and again and again again again. It wasn’t entirely physical, either. The sheer force of the anger radiating out from him felt like being crushed under a ten ton weight while someone sawed through your brain with static shaped barbed wire. I was on my knees, shaking and coughing blood. I was still lucid enough, barely, to reach into my right pocket and activate the recording of the banishing words I’d made beforehand. It didn’t help. I was lifted up by the front of my shirt and then dropped onto the ground, and there was a crack as my weight fell on the iPhone and the recording abruptly stopped. Shards of the screen embedded themselves into my side and drew blood.

Up until this point I’d been pretty much a limp doll. It hurt to breathe, moving was out of the question. My mind snapped into focus again, just as it did in the warehouse, and suddenly it was as if someone had flicked the off switch on the world. Again, I didn’t feel anything from him; the sense of primal anger cut off abruptly. The only sources of pain now were my injuries and the tentacles restricting my movement. I snarled and bit the nearest one I could reach.

Well, that was another bad idea in an increasingly long list of them. He tasted awful, of wood alcohol and bitter tannins, with a large dose of rotting offal and a dash of jet fuel. I spat immediately and involuntarily, and started trying to scratch him instead. My nails needless to say, did nothing.

I scrabbled and struggled like a mad thing, and I think this might have confused him a little because he paused for a second, before wrapping a tentacle around my throat.

This… state of mind may have been an advantage of sorts in the warehouse, but it was most certainly was not here, with an opponent that couldn’t be hurt or defended against by direct means. I’m not the most cautious of individuals but in this state I am stupid. That's the only reason I can think of for why I didn't use the taser I had in my other pocket until this point. I stabbed the nearest bit of him I could reach with it, and everything went black.

Now seeing as I am alive, as evidenced by my writing this to you, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume I was teleported somewhere again. You’d be right. I was teleported to a highway. Where I was almost immediately run over.

I woke up again in a hospital. Thankfully, the person who’d hit me was horrified and had called 111. My cousin rushed down as soon as he heard the news, and so I’m glad my vocal cords are absolutely shot, since I had an excuse to not talk to him. I’m told they’ll heal… mostly, but for now I can’t say a word. On the other hand, he told me news and left the laptop and the bag of grapes I’m sure he only bought because that’s the thing you do in movies and told me he’d get to the bottom of who did this. My pitiful neckbracy attempt at a vehemently shaken head just doesn’t have the same impact as a loud ‘no’, I found. He left before I could stop him.

Speaking of the injury tally: I was right, my skull is cracked. My brain had minor internal bleeding. Might have something to do with the fact that everything seems to echo right now, whispers on the edge of hearing. I have cracked ribs. I have whiplash. The screen shards had to be removed. My mouth feels like I’ve been gargling battery acid. My left arm and leg are broken, making it a pain to type let me tell you. There are bad burns all over my body that have distinctly baffled the hospital staff with regards to their possible origin. I played the ‘cracked skull unconciousness’ card when they asked. Not to mention bruises everywhere and apparently self inflicted muscle damage. All in all, I’m incredibly lucky to be alive. I’m told the fact that I wasn’t expecting the impact with the car may have saved my life.

So I will be in traction for a while. Since my iPhone’s smashed I can’t monitor my camera feeds. Nor can I try and see if the machine is still salvageable. (It most likely isn’t.) But I can still work on the data I’ve saved to the laptop, and I can still read blogs (go hospital wifi!), so I’ll go do that now.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like he had a lot of fun this last week. Stay alert, he could decide to pay a 'room-call' while you're in the hospital. Hope you heal soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I don't like being vulnerable like this.

      Delete
  2. Bahaha! I'm sorry, but when I read the way you described dear Mr. Octopus...

    I'll bet HE was surprised! You did better than hitting him with a frying pan!

    You go, girl! The Slender Man will fall, and he will fall soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how much of this catching Slenderman business was an effect of your psychological perception that caused him to be succesptible to your plan, but I've gotta say I'm impressed. I'm still not sure what else you thought would happen though, even if your trap did work and you could contain him. He's tricky like that.
    Get your rest. If you don't worry about him, he won't bother you. Seems to me though that you're alive for more than just luck. I'd be careful with that. When it comes to Slenderman the absolute last thing you want to be is special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some extremely interesting data. I'm sure some good stuff can be done with it.
    On the other hand, you almost died. Repeatedly. You are insanely lucky. We're all glad you're still here, but please, please try not to put yourself in any more almost-certain-death situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. But does it prove that the magnetic nature of your device was having an adverse effect on him or was it the incredible amount of energy being pumped into the device via the generator?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm not sure what you mean? The electricity flowing into the device would have produced minimal magnetic fields in the cables compared to those generated by the machine itself, which *was* the result of the energy being put in by the generator, which was in the order of 1000W. /Maximum load for mains, which it was also running on, is 2400W.)

      Seeing as he can appear in houses, which have their own electricity supply, just fine, I'd say yes, it is most likely the magnetism.


      Delete
    2. Hard to argue with that, although I find the results less than conclusive.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. When I can walk and hold a soldering iron I'll repeat the experiment on inert azoth samples and proxies instead. I don't suppose you could volunteer?

      Delete
    4. It would be interesting but I hardly consider myself an average proxy.

      Delete
    5. Well, that's exactly the point. You've been one for how long?

      The ones I manage to catch are the newbies, so to speak, and they don't have the exposure required for anything interesting. Also, they are starting to learn, so tricks I've used before don't work now. This isn't exactly an ideal sample.

      Delete
    6. To long. Much to long.

      In either even I'd hardly consider myself an Ideal sample either. Even if I was, why the hell would I help you?

      Delete
    7. For the furthering of science?

      Bwahaha, I almost managed to type that with a straight face. Really, there's no reason, apart from curiosity or possible coersion, the latter of which is not something I can do right now.

      /Even *with* your permission running the experiment on you would be a hassle although a worthy one; it would be dependant on a guy I know being trustworthy and willing to provide transport, two things that I think are true... but I can't be *sure* of.)

      This was always a long shot I wasn't expecting to actually go anywhere.

      Delete
    8. Dare to dream Sage. Dare to dream.

      Delete