Saturday 2 February 2013

Welcome To Runner's Anonymous


Imagine, if you will, an abandoned hall in a ghost town. Grey concrete under peeling paint. Old newspapers blowing by like refined tumbleweed. Inside, the lights are on and the rows of chairs are filled and everyone keeps an eye on the exits.

It's a girl's turn to come up to the podium. She flashes a nervous smile. "H-hi. My name is Med, and I've..."

"Hi Med ," comes the obligatory droning chorus.

"I've been Stalked for a month now. I've been reading blogs for two..."

Well, that was an interesting tangent. If there are ever any readers out there, I'll ask them to please bear with me, because I do that sort of thing a lot. What it isn't, is the point of this blog.

See, I'm a scientist. Or at least studying for a science degree. Given I'm not likely to finish it, I'm happy to exaggerate a little. Recently, meeting our object of mutual discussion has knocked my worldview for six. I'm not discouraged by some thing I didn't think could possibly exist existing. I'm fascinated.

How does he work? That teleportation, how does he do that? Why do cameras and photos suffer distortion around him? What's his intelligence level? God, I sound like a fangirl. I'll assure you I'm not.

To this end, I'll be setting up a series of experiments, as well as collecting as many first- hand observations as possible. I'll also be taking suggestions from the floor -  it's right up there in the blog title, except you don't even have to pay me. Ever wondered what doing <insert crazy thing here> would do to him, but been too scared (or smart, or sane...) to find out? Ping me! I've always wanted to die how I lived - confusing the hell out of absolutely everyone. YOLO, and all that.

All I ask in return is data, data, data, and lots of it. If you repeat some of my less dangerous experiments, I'd very much like it if you could send me the results, in as much numerical detail as possible. Page Theory practically ensures your milage will vary, and so if I want to help other Runners with my findings and not just myself, I need to find the consistencies (And there are obvious consistencies, such as him being tall, so I'm assuming there are also hidden ones.) and get them hammered down. As well as the more mundane reasons such as minimizing uncertainty and so on.

Also, any Proxies out there? I want your blood. No, seriously. Just a pint'd do. For... reasons. Call it a hunch. Would be much obliged. What I'm hoping for is a range, from new acolytes to experienced Agents to the Big Guns, spectacularly unlikely as that last one is, but I'll take anything I can get. Any Runners wanting in on this would also be appreciated, if less necessary.

First experiment's gonna be a relatively safe one. I'm starting off sure and steady here. 

~Med



5 comments:

  1. Well, here's some data. Cognitive dissonance works miracles. Well, it's been working for me so far. I'll tell you the rest of what I know later, when I stop using Cd, don't want to accidentally put my friends at risk, gotta break ties and such. And for the blood of experienced proxies? You'd probably have to set up some overly complicated trap, and work with two or three other people. If all you needed was skin? You could go grave robbing. If I recall, Zeke took out one or two before he got taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay med. He's tall,wears a suit, has tentacles,causes electronic distortion, and can teleport. Sadly thats where the constencies end. The one thing ive found out when researching him is that he is different for everyone. Some depict him as 8 ft tall others 15 ft tall. Or maybe thats not it.... Maybe hes just always changing. As soon as you think youve figured out the rules to his "game" the rules change.

    -Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that more as a challenge than a deterrent.

      Delete
    2. So it's safe to assume that's a "challenge accepted"?

      -Roy

      Delete
    3. On a scale of yes to no?

      YES.

      Delete