Sunday 3 February 2013

Experiment #1: Symbols

Items required: Duct tape, Vivid marker or equivalent, A city, Security cameras, Time.

The Observer symbol is ubiquitous, the symbol associated with the Slender Man, and opinion is conflicting on whether it attracts or repels him, whatever else it does. Given the possibility of the former is worse than lack of the latter, most Runners wisely decline to consciously use it. I have been unable to find any accounts of anyone trying to make sure of its effects.

To this end, I have drawn a total of ten symbols in various isolated, reasonably difficult to reach places throughout the city, in vivid marker on concrete as plant-based materials may cause bias. Or may not. That is, however, something to test later. 

Set A is covered by duct tape, Set B is uncovered. Each set contains one example of:

- The standard tensor product.
- The Observer symbol, which I left facing a particularly pretty piece of graffiti.
- The Crying Man symbol.
- Setoth's custom Slenderman symbol.
- The Summoning Dark symbol as a control, being vaguely eye-associated while inert. (Fun fact: In Thud!, the Following Dark symbol is described as a circle with two diagonal lines through it. That sounds very familiar... )

Any others you think would be helpful will be added. All symbols were set up with cameras recording as wide a field of view as possible. I'll be reviewing the footage occasionally and noting anything odd that occurs.

It'll be six months before I feel I'll have enough numbers to definitively prove things one way or the other. Fortunately, this experiment requires minimal upkeep, so I will be doing other things in the meantime.

~Med

6 comments:

  1. You're playing a dangerous game, trying to experiment with the likes of that freak.

    Then again, I'm trying to kill him instead of running away, so maybe I can't talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Honey, it's not everyday you meet someone with enough of a spine to try and do something about your situation. Keep it up.

    And if you need proxy blood, I've got plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found that he simply uses it to mark his proxy and hollows. At least in most cases. I tried to use it to quiet his damn song, to superss his influence. It only worked to amplify the song.

    -Roy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice theory with the following dark sign comparison but unfortunately descriptions and pictures depict it as two parallel diagonal lines in a circle not intersecting as is the case of the Operator Symbol which is what I believe you were comparing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I know this is a LONG time ago but I came by an interesting quote the other day about the operators symbol.

    "Perhaps it doesn't actually mean anything. Let me see if I can explain. Seeing it makes you think of Slenderman. And since Slenderman operates on the power of belief, it turns it into a sort of memetic thought weapon."

    Meaning that simply seeing the symbol without knowing what it means isn't enough to put you in danger of attracting HIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. That makes an interesting amount of sense, which I'll have to look into.
      Probably not a good idea to leave it lying around in case someone decides to research it though.

      Delete