Tuesday 4 June 2013

Roadtrip Part Two



I’m fine. Sorry if I worried anyone with that last part; Slender Man was indeed there across the street, so I hurriedly typed that out in case… what? I went missing? Seems a little weird in hindsight, actually. In any case, I wrote it, slammed the laptop shut, locked the car, and the staring contest commenced. Needless to say, I lost. Several times.

It must have gone on for two, three hours. I was wondering if curtains for car windows had been invented when a truck passed by and he was gone without fanfare. I definitely wasn’t going to sleep after that, so I took the doctor’s journal out of the glovebox, leaned the seat back and started perusing it. It wasn’t the best material to read at night, but my other books were in the boot and I had absolutely no inclination to go out and get them. My laptop’s battery was also suddenly flat, which is why I hadn’t posted or commented until now. It’s currently charging from the hotel mains.

I must have fallen asleep at some point, since I woke up with the book on my face. And in a different location. This had less to do with teleportation and more to do with the fact I’d been towed.

I spent a decent part of the morning being friendly and apologetic, since I long ago learned that people don’t so much care about your actions as how you act about them, and I wanted to be on my way as fast as possible. I presented and filled out paperwork and paid the fine. I was told that they’d tried various ways to wake us up with no result, including banging heavily on the windows, so in the end they just moved the car with us in it.

I will say this about Queenstown; costly it may be, but I have never found a better Japanese restaurant than the one in the main mall. I’d forgotten what tendon tasted like. Black had teriyaki sushi, since I was starting to get used to the operandi of just buying him whatever he was looking at, or if he wasn’t looking at anything on the menu, whatever I was having. I also bought a pack of energy drinks, since I could tell I’d be needing them.

And off we went, before my wallet could be sucked out the car window.

The mountains are beautiful in the sunlight, if you ignore that everywhere is covered in bush. I stopped off in Gore for no reason other than to look at the giant trout sculpture, which I think bemused Black, and we were in Manapouri within two hours.

I drove down the main street and was hit by a wave of nostalgia. There’s a lot of memories embedded in this place, good and bad, and they all came back at once. Everything was smaller than I remembered but it was all still there; that loose plank in the school fence, there was the playground with the roundabout that never worked, there was that tree…

For a second I wondered if coming back here had been such a good idea.

I stopped at the hotel, sorted things out with reception and dropped off our stuff in our room. It was still afternoon and there was time to kill so I took Black on a tour of old haunts I don’t think he was very interested in, ending with having fish and chips on the lakefront. Then it was back to the hotel to unpack. If Adam is hitchhiking as well as walking I predict he’ll be here in a day or so. It’s kinda nice to be ahead of someone for a change.

18 comments:

  1. Master seems to be very passive lately with his staring contest...

    Either they found 682, he's planning something big, or something's gone wrong.

    -Veigar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised S didn't do more. Lucky you, I think. Still, cars are good for sleeping and all, but being in the library is usually safer. Assuming you can hide there until it closes, or get in after hours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was... strange. I kept waiting for him to do something. Shot my nerves to hell.

      Thanks for the library tip, I'll give it a try next time.

      Delete
    2. Just make sure you don't go into any suspicious doors there. You might wander into the wrong kind of library.

      The Blind man kind.

      Delete
  3. Glad you're alright. It's good for your sanity to reminisce, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear that you're safe! Just one thing: isn't posting this a bad idea? Adam could easily check your blog, or he could have given you false information. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like my curiosity's a secret... I've told him outright I'm coming along. I'm not going to be storming the castle on my own, but neither am I staying behind. If there's this sort of thing going on in my territory I need to know about it. Adam can leave the country, but I have to deal with things here.

      As for false information... if it is, we are going to have *words*. But he's already proven himself to be a terrible liar. If not in the Hunter Mountains, the lab is definitely somewhere in New Zealand, and almost certainly the South Island.

      Delete
  5. Well you have to be carefully which types of library you choose. Though concerning this Black character, odd response, half hallowed, half full almost like he has just popped out for a smoke and still pokes his head in the door time to time. It reminds me of something I've encountered, but not connected with the 'Slender Man', and from what I've read the circumstances don't support what I see in those cases.
    -Librarian Perierat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might still be relevant. What is it you're thinking of?

      Delete
    2. Well I'll use Colloquial terms for ease, EAT, is a Timor that takes over individuals by getting INK into their bodies, the usual method is to drown the individual, though there are other more inventive ways. The resulting body then reanimates and goes about the other persons life learning, much like Black does but differently. I think personally it's improbable, he has not had the usual reaction that campers express, or from what I can tell, exposure to EAT.
      -Librarian Perierat

      Delete
  6. Be more careful-if they can tow your car with you in it, while you sleep peacefully,someone else could do much worse things to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should probably not have said I was near the library; there's only one in Queenstown, it would have been a piece of cake to find me. Not doing that again.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. Cover your ass, it'd be a shame for you to get taken out over a stupid mistake.

      Delete
  7. I don't really think I get it...
    Why exactly are you following this guy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because he told me not to. >: D

      Delete
    2. Oh! Then that's an awesome reason to do it :)

      Delete