Sunday 2 June 2013

Noir

So I have a detective sleeping on my couch.

He arrived at Lyttelton tonight. I wasn't expecting him to come by ship, but I rented a car and was at the docks holding a sign with his name written on it, purely because that's what they do in the movies. He was pretty easy to spot with his trademark hat and coat, and I waved him over.

Me: Hey, you Noir?
Adam: And you must be the one they call Med.
Me: That I am. The car's over this way.

We shook hands and I started driving him to my place, just as it started to upgrade from drizzle to rain. On the way we talked. I offered him a room, but he preferred the couch, which was fine by me. I joked that things would be weird with two Blacks around.

Me: So why are you here in good ol' Godzone? A place to avoid the heat, or on business?
Adam: It was the only boat leaving that night.

It was pretty much obvious that was a lie.

Me: Good, I'd hate for something to be going on right under my nose, so to speak.
Adam: Yes, that would suck. You wouldn't happen to have a map, would you?
Me: Oh, has Google crashed? Yeah, I have maps. Bushwalking tracks, that sort of thing.
 Adam: Google? Oh, that internet thing.

I couldn't help thinking 'oh, you poor man' for a split second.

Adam:Good, I need to find my wa- Just would like to know the area.

He really is a terrible liar. I sighed.

Me: Okay then. I've got a few that'd do you well, got some things marked on there that aren't on the official maps. Don't get excited though, it's nothing classified. Just things like hot springs and glow worm caves and good fishing sites. Places to camp, whether the water's undrinkable, that sort of thing.
Adam: Anything in the Hunter Mountains?
Me: Oh, I don't know. Another lab, maybe? On my turf? ... Yes, my maps cover those too. You're in luck, they're probably the most comprehensive I have. I grew up around there.
Adam: Med, I am going to level considering the fact that New Zealand is your home. Yes, another Lab House is in the mountains, I am going to be going there... alone.
Me: Hell no.

He paused for a bit.

Adam: Look, if it wasn't so dangerous then I'd let you go senza problema but it is very dangerous and I don't want to be responsible for your death or injuries.
Me: Ha, when has the possibility of death or injury stopped me? Look. I know the area. I know labs. I can help. I'm not asking you to involve me in a firefight, just to let me search the place when you're done.
Adam: No.
Me: Fine! Fine.

I may have driven faster and braked harder than strictly necessary when going up the driveway. I deactivated the traps on the door with my iPhone, unlocked it, and checked on Black. He hadn't spontaneously combusted while I was gone, so I asked Adam what drink he wanted and then went and got  the maps.

I walked into the lounge with both to find Adam and Black reading paperwork. It was a list of names; some of the patients that the doctor whose journal Adam held had worked on, so I don't think much damage was done, but I still asked Adam not to give Black any more things to read. Then I set about spreading the maps all over the coffee table and getting them to line up.

Adam: Always this frantic here?
Me: Don't always have visitors. These past two weeks have been a surprise. Got it. Here is where we are, and here are the Hunter Mountains. Closest town, unless you count Monowai as a town, which I don't, is Manapouri.
Adam: Hmm.

He started writing in his own journal, a black leather thing.

Me: It's a full day's drive, maybe two. You're probably going to have to stop in Queenstown. Do you have a car, Mister Alone?

He said he'd walk.We discussed what he'd need and what the town was like, he tricked me into drinking vodka from his hip flask, I managed to stop him getting Black to drink from it, and he gave me the doctor's journal for study.

That's everything up to date. Time for bed. He's leaving for the lab house in a few days, which should give me enough time to prepare.

12 comments:

  1. In my experience detectives can be quite a burden and lead to quite a lot of misadventures.
    I'd watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just invite anyone to your house why don't you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily, if they aren't Proxies.

      Delete
    2. I'll be sure to inform all the proxies to be on their best behavior and announce who they are

      Delete
    3. I've noticed a lot tend to do that anyway. The announcing who they are, not the best behaviour bit. They don't do that.

      You know what I meant, Fracture. :3

      Delete
  3. You're going to follow him. Aren't you.

    -Veigar

    ReplyDelete
  4. He had to trick you into drinking Vodka? Why? Vodka is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...you know, offering to help isn't all it's cracked up to be.

    Seriously, I offer to help you re-write Black's past, and guess who shows up? SLENDY! And boy, is he PISSED.

    So...I'm working on it. It's going slow, but it's coming around...

    -Briar (Aka Thorn, Cayley, Rose)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I don't mind how long it's taking. This sort of thing can't be rushed.

      Delete