Tuesday 4 June 2013

Roadtrip Part One



Music! Funny thing, Black actually does have a resemblance to Johnny. Can’t wait for him to be lucid so I can tease him about it.

I woke up this morning to find Adam gone and a note on the dining table saying he’d left for Manapouri. A day earlier than expected, but this didn’t affect my plans overmuch.

“Black!” I called. “Time to start Operation Tortoise and Hare!”

I’d spent yesterday juryrigging up a device to keep the rats fed and watered, and I already have backpacks filled with things you need for travel under beds and in various closets, just in case, so it was simply a matter of loading up the car with two of those and anything else I thought we might need. We were out of the door by ten, the traps reset and the house locked behind us. The rain had stopped overnight, so it was warm and sunny, if still a little damp.

Driving was largely uneventful. The plains receded and eventually became foothills, then mountains. We stopped for lunch in Geraldine, and since Black wasn’t stating any particular preference, I bought him what he just happened to be staring at, which was a sandwich. He ate it without complaint.

It was just after sunset by the time we arrived, and I realized one thing I’d managed to overlook; Queenstown. In the ski season. While I suppose it isn’t as bad as it could be - the school holidays are when things get really busy - what vacancies there were were expensive. As was dinner. The place deserves to be called the Tourist Trap Capital of New Zealand. In the end I’ve opted for sleeping in the car, uncomfortable as that’s going to be. I’d retrieved the blankets and pillows from the boot and Black has the back seat. After a little tossing and turning he’s currently out like a light, the lucky sod.

In case you’re wondering how I’m posting this, it turns out if you park close enough to the library you can still pick up the free wifi. It’s only one bar, but it’s enough.

heshere

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you being devious to each other. At least that way you aren't fucking with proxies.

    On a more serious note, this is a really stupid idea. I doubt noir will be too discriminating with his targets, and if he shoots you by mistake that may be a one way ticket to the archangel. Not sure of a fear has to be directly involved for oblivion. Good luck either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "heshere"

    Does that mean Master is there or Adam is there?

    -Veigar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balls, didn't notice that. I really hope you get out of this alive, Med. Closest thing to a Sage the runners have, and that matters.

      Delete