Tuesday 18 June 2013

Experiment #4: Vaccine



It’s been a while since I made one of these posts. The purpose of this experiment to help recreate the Cure by testing the hypothesis that it activated an immune response to azoth.

Each group of test rats shares a cage, food and water supply.

Trial One:
10x rats are a control group.
10x rats are continuously exposed to azoth vapour. Their cage has activated charcoal filters in order to prevent the vapour from escaping into the lab and contaminating the results. Similarly the vapour supply is shut off one day before the cage is weekly cleaned, in order for it to have dissipated before it is opened. The filters are also changed at this time. The azoth is replaced monthly.
10x rats are injected weekly with a 20 mg/ml solution of dissolved dead azoth.

The supply of dead azoth is taken from the living azoth sent to me by Kelevra, which after a conversation with Rose  we decided to name Rinforzando. It is ‘fed’ a solution of equal parts bleach, ethanol, chlorine and hydrogen peroxide to ten parts water. Varying the concentrations to see which constituent is most effective is an experiment for when this one is over in order to keep things consistent; my money’s on the alcohol. As it grows excess amounts are cut off and killed with concentrated hydrochloric acid, before being stored for later use.

Trial Two is similar in construction, save that each rat has been innoculated with 2 per cent solution of antibodies extracted from Carter’s blood beforehand, and then was observed for three weeks before exposure to azoth in order for any adverse effects to become apparent. There were none.

In other news, Adam left me his fedora behind, along with a note. I am sincerely touched.

I’ve managed to pin the chemical structure of the active substance in Strider’s pills. Extensive searching of the literature reveals no previous work on it. Making a drug is, if not easy, then doable in a garage with the right equipment and the right recipe. But the development of a drug takes years and millions of dollars, so why no patent or paper to pay it back or get recognition? I suspect government involvement, but that only increases the mystery as to why a random Runner had them on him. Speaking of making it, I can. The yield is incredibly piss poor, so if you want any in bulk I’d probably be repeating the same procedure over and over again for the next six months, but at least Strider has something to show for his donation. I’m currently working on trying to find ways to increase the yield.

As for Morningstar’s pills, I haven’t had much chance to do any work on them, but a quick test reveals the becoming increasingly familiar chemical signature of azoth. Teasing out the other chemical constituents will take a little more time.

Speaking of chemical constituents, something I should have done earlier was to test azoth for DNA. Interestingly, it has none. It does, however, contain RNA. All this means that if there is a LUCA, it is far, far back. Azoth has more genetically in common with virii than any other living or unliving creature.

R, your arms are almost done. I just need to do some fine tuning to get smoothness of movement up to par and then weld on the outer coverings. Since I can’t do any neural integration, especially so far away, the controls for the arms will be on a modified tooth protector which you operate with your tongue. I’ll send you two of those and a pack of the batteries they require. The arms themselves require power point charging. An overnight charge will keep them running for three days straight. Roy, your leg is a little behind but works similarly.

What else, what else… right. The Dying Man river water. I have a hunch that the black dots are the active ingredient and also that they are some sort of organism, and I am planning to test both.

Thanks to the hemisphere flip, I’m getting the Winter Solstice much sooner than most of you, just as you’ll be getting the Summer one much earlier than me. Since I still have some time on the car rental left, I plan to grab Black, skip town, and spend it out on the plains near the mountains, where there are minimal trees and lots of wide open spaces. The other option is to stay home in the city, but since both Kelevra and Fracture have independently found my house it’s evidently not as safe as previously thought. So I’ll be incommunicado until I get back.

23 comments:

  1. If you want I could send some of my blood.

    Hell, might even send a Denizen's arm or something. Maybe figure out why I'm immune to them.

    -Veigar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be excellent, thanks. I'll email you my PO Box.

      Delete
  2. I still can't see much significance from my blood. But, if you think it's important, I won't complain.

    And you just reminded me of the solstice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You fit the criteria of "Runner who has had an immune response to azoth". You're also the only Runner blood sample I have. ^^; I can't use Black because he was a Proxy and I can't use myself since I've yet to contract Slendersickness so ding ding ding you win. : )

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't bet on alcohol having much of an affect on azoth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, I know for certain azoth can't get drunk.

      It's a source of hydrocarbons for growth. I admit I could probably use tar or anything organic, but I'm sticking with the mixture Carter used because I know it worked.

      Delete
    2. That explains quite a lot, actually. I just figured it helped to break down the barriers between my mind and the azoth, helped communication, but actually assistin growth makes more sense

      Delete
  4. I'm back proper now, I sent the blood samples from the proxies we captured to one of our New Zeland branches but I'm guessing they have chosen to let you decide where you want to receive them, they could just drop it at your residence if you wish but I think that would unsettle you even more. Tell me where and I'll pass the information on so you can receive the samples, hey may be in a few cases.
    -Librarian Perierat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good. Feel free to leave it at my house, I'm starting to be resigned to everyone knowing where it is.

      Delete
    2. Make sure it doesn't stay out in the sun too long, we heard kicking coming from inside earlier........ kiding, kidding..... or am I.
      -Librarian Perierat

      Delete
  5. Ah Rinforzado, thank you for keeping up with my "naming" path, or however you call it.

    Also, it is fun reading something and not understand a word, too many complicated words in this post for me to handle.

    So that brings a question, why the hell did I write a comment in the first place? I dunno, I was bored.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Med, you're doing incredible work. I am seriously in awe. What exactly do those pills that you're replicating DO?

    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't be sure, but I can hazard a guess. It's chemical structure bears a great deal of similarity to existing antipsychotics and anticonvulsants, and there's it's effects on Strider to consider. Since azoth communicates via electromagnetic pulses and anticonvulsants dampen electrical activity in the brain, this medication may act as a minor mental shield of sorts from the psychological effects of Slender Man's presence.

      Again, though, this is only a guess.

      Delete
    2. That's fantastic. I'll be watching your results carefully. We may be able to help each other.

      ~

      Delete
    3. No, don't be stupid. Dampening your brainwaves so Father can't get in your head is like cutting off your hand to... oh.

      Right. Never mind.

      That is still stupid for those exploring a less suicidal way out.

      Besides, if you tone down the electrical activity who is to say the azoth won't expand at an increased rate in response to all that brain matter it can no longer sense?

      Delete
    4. I would present the evidence of one person who has taken similar for most of his life. But you're right in that this is something that needs to be tested.

      Anticonvulsants aren't brain poison. The FDA wouldn't stand for that. Although this chemical is definitely not FDA approved.

      Delete
  7. This is...my god, this........

    incredibly boring. Get back to the bloodshed, won't you, sweetie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the rule; if there's nothing good on, change channels.

      Delete
  8. Just as genius as always madame! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait. Wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT.

    So you are telling me, that you people are all sending blood to this person so they can experiment on it with sage magic to try to help you all?

    Fools! STUPID FUCKING FOOLS!

    Why are you all so blinde?! Can't you see what is REALLY going on here?

    SHE IS A VAMPIRE! She is praying on runners with promises of science! But she has no science, only fangs!

    DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW DID YOU DISCOVER MY SECRET!? : O

      Delete
    2. Simple process of elimination, my dear vampire Watson. Once you have ruled out the impossible then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, MUST BE TRUE.

      Delete