Saturday 12 July 2014

The Arson City

Christchurch is living up to it's nickname. I'm currently holing up in one of several hideouts I've scattered across it, which I can't detail further because of obvious reasons. Each one is stocked but was never meant for full time occupation, which means I'll have to move soon. I'm in a poor mood.



In any battle, it appears the victor of the first must be the loser of the second.

This all started with Black crouched on the end of my bed, waving a glowy thing in my face. It being roughly 3am in the morning by my estimation, my initial response was a mumbled “Fuck off.”

He made an exasperated noise and shook me. I finally opened my eyes. “What the hell, Black, have you ever heard of knocking? What do you...”

He pushed the glowy thing closer to my face, making me go crosseyed. I realized it was my iPhone.
And then I saw what he’d been trying to show me. Static. I sat bolt upright and grabbed it, trying to find the affected feed while he watched crouched on the end of the bed. A few seconds later I realized, it wasn’t one camera. It was all of them.

Which meant one of two things, neither of them good. I was good and awake now. I grabbed my coat from the corner of the desk, put it on over my pyjamas, and rummaged in a drawer for my taser.

“Black,” I said, my voice slightly muffled by said taser while I frantically put shoes and socks on. “Can you get out of the house unnoticed?”

He nodded.

“Good.” I reached under the bed and pulled out a bulging black backpack. “This should have enough in it for a week. If I don’t make it out by morn, I mean sunrise, keep it and keep running.”

He pulled it on without comment. No “but you’re coming with me, aren’t you?”. He understood.

And then I was alone in my room, and hearing noises coming from the basement. I gritted my teeth, slipped on my own backpack, and started forward, as quietly as possible. The noises were smashes of glass, with a rhythm of purpose behind them. Whoever it was wanted me to hear. I went in anyway.

The sharp smell of spilt azoth hit my nostrils, and there, sitting on the bench as if he owned it, was a face I hadn't seen in a long time. A Smugface. He looked up as I entered and tipped a reagent bottle over with a finger, and it shattered on the floor sending an explosion of white powder across it. "Oops," he said, completely unapologetically. "Butterfingers." And then he smashed another. He'd taken them out of the cabinet and lined them up one by one.

I took a step forward, and he removed a familiar pistol from it's holster and pointed at my chest. Left handed. I stopped moving forward.

"My best friend is blind because of you," he said conversationally, returning his gaze to the bottles and knocking over another, gun still trained on me. Smash. "Another is dead. Complications." Smash. "And a third is still in hospital." Smash. "She gets discharged ooooh, two hours ago. So I suppose that was a bit of a lie."

"What do you want," I replied. The state of the lab hadn't escaped my notice. The rats had been released. Machinery dismantled and papers scattered. And the entirety of my azoth store had been splashed over every surface. The hairs on the back of my neck prickled in foreboding.

"Mostly, I want you dead. But since that's not allowed to happen yet," he said in a mocking tone, and I guessed it was a specific order from a higher up. "I guess I have to settle for this." His right hand reached into his jacket pocket and withdrew a lighter. He grinned at my expression, and flicked it. I moved forward instinctively, and he shot the wall behind me far too close to my head. The sound echoed in the confined space. I stopped. 

He touched the flame to the dark liquid, and with a whoomph it caught like alcohol. While he did so I did something incredibly stupid and tackled him. The gun clattered across the floor, but he kicked me off easily, and threw the lighter at me. It bounced off my head and disappeared somewhere in the hungry, eager flames. As burning papers drifted and I tried to stop being winded, he took out a black walkie talkie and spoke into it. "Now, Hati."

A portal to the Path opened up behind him, and I charged at him with a fire extinguisher grabbed from under the bench and ready to be used as a club. He tipped himself backwards into the Path like some weird trust exercise before I could reach him, and I threw it at him only to watch it bounce off the wall with a clunk as a few black leaves crumbled. I cursed.

And then the fire was a more pressing problem. It was already getting difficult to breathe. The fire extinguisher was useless against an azoth fire as water against the Greek kind, I knew, hence my attempted usage of it as a weapon. Knowing I had copies of my work elsewhere, I raced out, slammed the door shut, and called 111.

I didn't have copies of everything. I removed what I could, tossing it out of the window until the smoke became too thick to see through and my coughs rasped painfully. Then I exited by the same method myself, shortly before the fire department arrived, who berated me for my flippancy and treated me for smoke inhalation. They couldn't save the house, and many things of value to me are gone.

Black never appeared at the rendevous point.

49 comments:

  1. Check the rendezvous point regularly; this being most likely the first place he'd go. Is there anywhere you took him regularly he might have gone to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing so every day for the past 13 days, and it's starting to worry me a bit. Every other place I can think of I've tried; there's no evidence he's even been there. Not good.

      Delete
    2. Do you know anyone who might want to hurt him?

      Delete
    3. Not at first blush. He hasn't really *done* anything to anyone, at least in the time I've known him...

      Delete
  2. So you're back. I'd say glad to have you, but it sucks getting out didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly happy to be 'back' either.

      Delete
  3. Never believed for one second that you were "out". Assumed you were simply dead, or brain washed. Can't say I can offer any tips with the Black missing situation, however, apparently you're not on their kill list, or whatever, so you a couple of days to look for him, after which I would suggest moving on, since you can't really trust a word of a psycho who just burned down your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *was* out, the operative word being was. I've been moving from safehouse to safehouse in a manner determined by the random button on my calculator. I'm going to keep looking for Black, but not at the rendevous points. Something must have happened to him.

      Delete
  4. So, you recognized the person that did this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the guy I strangled way back when. http://alwaysexperiment.blogspot.co.nz/2013/02/vandalism-round-1.html

      I guess he's a little unhappy about that.

      Delete
    2. Well. That...was an interesting read.

      Delete
  5. Oh look a sage. That's... such a pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's up pussy cat?

      Delete
    2. His boss turned His back on him. Or he turned his back on his boss. I'm not sure which.

      But Fracture, can I just take this opportunity to say, I TOLD you it was your boss behind that shit. I mean, a lot of other people did too, apparently, but you probably should have smelled the smoke of the metaphorical fire by then.

      Delete
    3. This is more hilarious than it should be.

      Come over to the liiiight side, Fracture.

      Delete
    4. This makes me think - why work a dangerous job with ridiculous hours in a stupid mask to please an entity that you might be working against without realising? That's a bullshit prospect right there.

      Delete
    5. With a CV like that you're a shoe in for Runner.

      Delete
    6. Touching but I'll pass.

      I want to live I'm afraid.

      Delete
    7. Your chances of that don't seem that high as it is.

      Delete
    8. Better then them being 0%.

      Delete
  6. Once you solve your dilemmas, will you continue to study the effects of the Physicality of Azoth and various other Alternate Liquids?

    I happened to find those very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.

      Unfortunately, my dilemmas wait for no man.

      Delete
  7. Welllll... once you're up and running again my offer of providing you with supplies and/or test subjects still stands. It may serve to go against Father, but I believe I may speak for all Runners when I say that he isn't the best to work with. I doubt it would be possible, but... could I ask that you attempt to research a way to close the Path? In that manner... perhaps you could simply confine Father to his dimension rather than killing him. It would take you years to figure out how to kill him, and perhaps just as long for this, but I am aware that, should you live long enough to continue this work, you will inevitably succeed. I once hated the Slender Man. Now, he is my Father, and I will die for him if need be. So Med, the only reason I'm asking this is in an attempt to prevent a mission with your name on it being given to me. I don't want to kill you, but I won't disobey orders either. And, I hate to say it, but I've got a hell of a lot more to live for than you. And on a somewhat brighter prospect, do you currently have a place to stay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She kinda does. She's been giving me the 'grand tour' of her safehouses.

      Delete
    2. Meh, okay. That means I don't have to awkwardly invite her to my place. Kinda got the impression she'd say no anyway

      Delete
    3. Spyre, you switch allegiances faster than a Nobbs. I honestly don't expect your proxyhood to last. Case in point; you're already asking me to find a method of sealing your boss. I have all the supplies I need, should I be careful, but unfortunately with the destruction of the lab my ability to store test subjects safely has become greatly diminished.

      It's good to know you don't have to live for me. You should live for yourself.

      Delete
    4. I've been a full-fledged proxy for at last five years. Time's been fucked up for me. The only reason I ask of you to seal him I'd for the stole purpose that, should you live long enough, you will succeed in killing him. I'm not an idiot in that. Where there is a will, there is a way. And he's not just a boss, he is my Father.

      As for storage for subjects, I may be able to help you. I already have a Raven and three Shadows locked up, I'll just Path them to you whenever. Can't give you proxies, but blood samples wouldn't bug me.

      Delete
    5. Your confidence fills me with... confidence. That isn't even sarcasm.

      It's not just storage, it's a lack of equipment. None of my safehouses can be used as a lab. I'd have the blood, but not be able to do much with it. When I have access to appropriate facilities, I will definitely contact you.

      Delete
    6. Okay. Good luck, Med. I honestly don't want you to die.

      Delete
  8. edward would like to know if you'd do group chat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! When and where?

      Delete
    2. no, on the internet. It's called chat. google.

      Delete
  9. give the slender bitch hell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah i'm with Nicole, put them through hell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. med you cant forget ussssss, still we wait

    ReplyDelete
  12. Med, you have experience making prosthetics, right? I know you don't have the tools, but could I ask for some advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      When you're making a false hand, how do you keep it attached to the patient?

      Delete
    2. Extend part of it to enclose down the wrist like a glove, with cushioning and a weak glue. It should be tight enough to hold fast, but not so tight that circulation is cut off or that movement is restricted. Difficult, I know.

      Delete
  13. Edward has Azoth in his blood stream. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can administer what I managed to salvage of the vaccine, but bear in mind it carries a very real risk of death.

      Delete
    2. what are the chances of death?

      Delete
    3. Very high. She was looking like she wouldn't make it when she tested her version. When I tested mine, I did die. So...yeah.

      Delete