Tuesday 23 July 2013

Recent Results



So, the blog takeover was rather obvious. I’d expected to track down Totara; I didn’t think he’d track down me.

The first thing he did was cut the power while I was out. This took out about half the traps right away. He also removed any batteries he could find, ensuring I came home to a dark house and that it stayed that way, and also that the cameras were disabled the entire time. Black didn’t stop him.

Speaking of, I fell asleep after making tea for him and myself on the camping stove; when I woke up it was a day and a half later with dry throat and pounding headache and a bad taste in my mouth to find the house had been overturned. I’ve tested the tea since and discovered traces of sodium thiopental I found had been taken from the supply left over after I sent some to Phil, as well as fospropofol, a combined concoction that scares me. I then threw out anything remotely edible inside the house in case that had been tampered with too.

The sedatives did not seem to agree with Black, and he threw up on the carpet almost immediately after waking. He slept abnormally long in the days afterward, although he seems to be fine now apart from having a newfound aversion to tea.

My lab was somehow in even more disarray than the rest of the house. It had been methodically searched, although very little was taken. The floppy disk and CD I acquired from the mountain lab are gone, the electromagnetic field generator 2.0 and the backup fuel generator have several small but important components missing, and my computer’s hard drive has been magnetically wiped.

Totara has a sense of humor I don’t like. When I find him, I might just return the favour.

Outside of all this, I’ve been working on a way to sculpt azoth, preferably into weapons. Azoth is very malleable, capable of taking a variety of shapes and hardnesses, and I want to take advantage of this property. So far, though, it’s been... difficult.

Making a sealed experimental container was easier than I thought it would be because it required only a few modifications to a vapor cage similar to the ones holding rats. I added gloves to the final structure, as well as a glass ‘airlock’ to move items into the main chamber without any escape of contaminated air. Instead of a vacuum, fire is used to clean the air of azoth vapor after items have been removed.

I tested it out by attempting to find out if specifically living azoth could be accurately shaped. My hypothesis was that since it communicates with itself via electromagnetic signals, mimicry of these signals could cause it to perform desired actions. To this end I made a miniature solenoid with adjustable voltage and current to see if there was a ‘sweet spot’.

It did not go well as hoped. The solenoid could cause the areas of azoth it was run over to become solid, but not for any useful length of time. In addition, the behavior it caused was erratic; often the azoth would twitch or twist into odd shapes or for one worrying moment, coil around the electromagnet even when the current was cut. Fortunately said magnet was within a plastic bag from which it was easily removed.

I also tried seeing if dead azoth could be fired like clay in a kiln. In retrospect this was a terrible idea. I constructed the kiln underground and with plenty of coal in order to create a layer of carbon dioxide over the azoth to counter it’s oxygenated properties. I thought this would be sufficient but clearly it wasn’t as the entire thing detonated with enthusiasm   c. As far as I can tell, the azoth ignited inside the kiln and then caused a massive pressure buildup.

I was very nearly bludgeoned by a brick, and got some very awkward questions from the neighbours. I told them it was a car backfiring.
That said, azoth can be safely cooked in an oven at temperatures below its flashpoint as long as it’s distributed evenly: it’s in fact part of the process I used to make azoth fireworks. The heat causes it to harden, shrink and become brittle, so it’s not really useful as a method of making objects. Messing around with variable temperatures and lengths of heating to see if more useful results are yielded will have to wait until said oven is fixed from the aftermath of an unfortunate paper related incident. (It’s a long story involving amateur surgery, a spectrometer, and a fire extinguisher. Also chess.)

I’m using the remains of the kiln to construct incubators, since I don’t want to leave Dying Man water samples in the one in the university.

I’ve also been making more of the active substance contained in the mysterious pills, which I’m going to call Cortexiphan just for the hell of it, so as to build up a decent stock in case it’s ever needed. Currently only have roughly thirteen grams of product, kept dry with dessicants in an anti UV jar in the freezer. Hopefully it doesn’t degrade over time.

Something I forgot to mention earlier: None of the dead or disappeared rats were from the vaccinated group. It’s a good sign but not absolute proof that it works yet.

I know I’m a bit late to this news, but Last and his team killed the Rake, or a Rake at least. In any case, a precedent has been set. I’ve been busy making the promised medals. They are almost complete, and just need to be electroplated. If you can email me an address to send them to, that’d be great.

In other news, I need a Proxy volunteer for my next experiment. Someone who can Path. It’s nothing particularly harmful or even strenuous, although it does require a lack of dickishness and an ability to remember instructions. And if you encounter a Denizen on the Path and kill it, I’d quite like it’s corpse for study.

78 comments:

  1. I'd be willing to test. I'm considered a master at the path, so it would be a sinch. Hell, they have a rule against me using it during the solstice.

    Also, did you not get the Denizen sample or was it taken? If so I can get you a damn living one if you want. They act as if i don't exist as stated before. Supply the cage and I can just push the fucker in it. Make the cage extra strong though.

    And as I've been told I seem to be less uh, "dickish", then other proxies. If you excpt all you have to worry about is potentially talking to the fool at some point.

    -Veigar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mate. Yeah, the Denizen was among the things missing, for some reason.

      How strong is extra strong? Are we talking 'better than iron bars' here?

      The test is pretty tidy and I'll supply the equipment.

      The procedure is basically: take a vertical fluorescent light tube and a photodetector and record if the tube lights up in proximity to you, and if it does over what radius this effect occurs. Take intensity measurements at one tenth intervals of this radius, including at a distance of zero.

      Then go to the Path. Repeat the above. Then activate 'PROGRAM 1' on the photodetector. It will have a time delay of 60 seconds; hopefully this is enough time to both leave it touching the fluorescent tube and move out of the radius of effect. That's it.

      Email me and we can hammer more out.

      Delete
    2. I'll email you tomorrow (like 8 or 9 hours). Being in Europe messed up my internal clock, tired as fuck.

      The bars would probably have to be steel or above. About 7-9 feet tall depending on the Denizen. Ceiling/floor doesn't really matter, they don't swing up or down much.

      -Veigar

      Delete
  2. Hey Meddie. You want a willing test subject? LOOK NO FURTHER. I offer MYSELF up in the name of Science. Out of the Goodness of my heart. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "it does require a lack of dickishness"

      Delete
    2. EXACTLY. I am a really nice guy.

      Delete
    3. No you're not, you're a dick!

      Delete
    4. WHAAAAT? How so? You WOUND ME Sanna. With a terrible, painful wound right here in my heart.

      Seriously though. Dissect me. PLEASE. Even I have no idea what is going on in there.

      Delete
    5. Me, dissect you? Yay for role reversal!

      Delete
    6. Well then, maybe you shouldn't've put it after my comment and maybe you should've specifically addressed it to Med. Moron.

      Delete
  3. Yay medals!
    I'll let Alicia e-mail you an address of one of the Hide outs.
    Because I'm terrible at location stuff.

    ~Shine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold the medal for a while. I need to make it out the Empty City alive first.

      Delete
  4. Annalee wanted me to say that she's glad you're alright, don't mess with the azoth it's not worth the trouble, and to not listen to anything Morningstar says he's an asshole.

    Hope you're alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He told me to ignore him, and that's a request I'm happy to fulfill.

      ^^ I'm fine, thanks for asking.

      Delete
    2. Well FINE then. I Was asking if you wanted to dissect ME so I can find out the specifics of how and why and what is going in here. But NOOOO. Lets be petty and ignore Morningstar.

      Delete
    3. It's not like you've DONE anything to make us like you.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this group that tracked down the Rake and managed to 'kill' it - I'd be very interested in you hunting down another creature for me. One I have unfinished business with. Mind connecting me?

    Apologies for the repeated comments; errors abound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://adangerousroadahead.blogspot.co.uk/

      ^ Those guys.

      Delete
  8. Ah, so you host this blog, not the other entity. Tell the Contessa her delivery has arrived by carrier pidgin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who the hell is this Contessa? Someone related to Totara?

      Delete
    2. No, I just collect deliveries. Think of me as someone who receives things. Little things. Nothing big.

      Ooh, my delivery is in? I'll have to collect it. Your lab seems to generate them on a regular basis.

      Delete
    3. Why mine, in particular?

      Delete
    4. Well, first there were those rats... UGH! What were you doing to them? Then there were the files that that strange man erased. Those were some weird deliveries.

      Delete
    5. Great, the Proxy counterpart to the Courier Service has arrived. Fantastic.

      You can have both of those things delivered straight back to me, thanks.

      Delete
    6. Deliver them back? No, silly! :D I get deliveries! I don't make them. You and your friends— 'Proxies'? — make the weirdest stuff, though. ;) Like that USB stick the guy stepped on. The data in that was weird, but I've put it in my 'Creepy Things' collection.

      Delete
    7. Hence saying you can have them delivered back rather than to deliver them back.

      Hang on, rewind a sec. That USB was completely destroyed. How did you get that data?

      Delete
    8. You don't get it, do you? Aww... I thought we were gonna be friends... :(
      Anyway, I had to get that data. Otherwise that little brat who steals from me would have taken it and used it to build himself bigger again. It's a sorta 'default' thing?

      Delete
    9. Is it possible for you to make a copy and send it back to me?

      Delete
    10. I can't, silly! The data's dead!! ;-P

      Delete
    11. Dead or alive, if it can be read it can be transcribed.

      Delete
    12. Aww... you don't give up, do you? Well...... I dunno if it would work, but I think I could give you a copy— if you were to come over for a tea party! No one ever comes to my parties any more. :(

      Delete
    13. It's one of my finer points. : )

      Are said parties lethally dangerous? Are there sedatives in the tea?

      Delete
    14. Um, noooo... why would I do that?! That's kinda icky. It's just tea. The bestest tea you'll ever have! And all my friends'll be there, too!

      Not that brat, though. He can go build mile-high towers on his own! Or that other weird guy. The last time I had a party he kicked over the table and took all the guests with him! >_< If I could get my hands on him... [foot stamp]

      Delete
    15. Glad to know you'd be a better host than Totara, then.

      I'll come to your party on the condition that no harm comes to me or mine as a result of this consent and only if I return to my house no more than a day later than I left.

      Delete
    16. Ummm... I wasn't gonna harm you, but return? I can't... really do that. D: Sorry! But I'll be happy to have you at a party when you can come.

      Delete
    17. Argh. It was worth a shot.

      Out of curiosity, what is your place like?

      Delete
    18. It's the bestest place EVER! :D :D I keep everything I've ever collected (there's always extra space). Sometimes I make art with something, or have a party, or dress up and take some things and go out and play with all of you! ;-P

      Well, I did, anyway. Then they trapped me in here, sorta, so I can't play outside anymore... I can still work, a bit. :S But then you all invented the Internet! So I could talk with you again! :D-}-<

      And I still have tea parties. But there's only my stuffed animals. And those meanies. D:<

      Delete
    19. I dunno... I yelled and screamed at them, but they never told me! And that brat stole my first computer! [foot stamp] I had to make a new one from my collection.

      Delete
    20. Oh.

      Well, if you do get out, let me know.

      Delete
    21. All right, I'll dress up and visit you if I do! In the meantime, I'll say hi if I'm near you while I'm working. You won't be able to hear it, so I'll say it on here, too. ^_^

      Delete
    22. You keep talking about a brat, towers, building itself, and lot's of mechanical/electrical stuff.

      You wouldn't perhaps be talking about The Manufactured Newborn would you?

      -Veigar

      Delete
    23. What'd you have to go say his name for?! He'll hear you! >_>

      Delete
    24. Oh! And I forgot to say it, so I'll say it too: Shhhhh!

      Delete
  9. Oh. My. God.

    First some idiot goes and spikes Med's tea...

    Then someone ELSE steals KENDRA'S tea.

    O_O THE TEA IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE! NO!

    Luckily for me, I hate tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Le gasp* Blasphemy! If there's one thing proxies, runners, and whatever the fuck I am can agree on, is that tea is fucking amazing.

      England (Sanna, pHIL, Xander, etc.) is going to see your comment. And then they'll follow you around and call you wanker all day, throwing fancy things and food.

      *JP

      Delete
    2. In a van with Russians, can confirm Russians love tea too.

      Delete
    3. Breaking news: Tea is the new Skittles.

      You hate tea, Rose? *clutches chest*

      Delete
    4. Seriously, you hate tea? Yet another reason Proxies are morally in the right!!!1! (you are a runner, right? Because I think comments like that can get you kicked out of proxydom)

      Delete
    5. Bad news pHIL, Rose is a Seeker.... so yah, proxy.

      Delete
    6. Balls. Don't suppose I can get a job as a runner? (Joke. Sadly)

      Delete
    7. I DO NOT SERVE HIM!!!! FOR CRYING OUT LOUD PEOPLE!

      I may be a Seeker, but I don't kill Runners.

      I'm more of a victim of circumstance. The only reason I became a Seeker was so I could save Strider from death.

      Delete
    8. To be quite frank, I'm not really sure how much that matters. He's got his hooks in you, there are really three options. Try to fight, serve him, or help us proxies (and yes, there is a difference). Now, you seem like a strong person, but that may not have any effect while he has a bead on your psyche. Not sure how effective fighting him would be. You could just decide to fuck it all and serve him. With the sad downside of making him more powerful.
      There's a war coming. Despite what people say, Slendy doesn't really come into it. It's between Runners and Proxies, and we need all the help we can get. You couldhelp us. It'd fuck the runners though, more than before. Still, we'd appreciate it. Could save several proxies.
      Still, it's your decision. Hell, you could take a fourth option. You could beat slendy and get your freedom. Your choice. Best of luck, despite your anti-tea tendancies.

      Delete
    9. I'm taking either the first option or the fourth option.

      I can't say I'd like to hurt anyone, or take sides. But if it comes down to it...I choose to help the Runners.

      Delete
    10. Pity. Could you do me a favour? Keep your fight with Slendy. Too many of us dying already without you adding to it. Still, I understand if you want to kill us too. Not terribly happy, but it's a decision good people have made. Wouldn't make you a bad personto make the same choice.

      Delete
    11. To be honest, if a war will happen, all proxies have to do is wait it out until there's a winter solstice somewhere, and then runners are fucked.

      Especially if Veigar is in that solstice.

      *JP

      Delete
    12. Yeah. We're gonna win, but there'll be casualties. Far, far too many casualties. Way I see it, it's better if those deaths are minimized.

      By the way, Any news on Twitch? I've got my people on the look out, but cautious enough that they'll hopefully avoid a fight. Slows things down, but it's safer.

      Delete
    13. Veigar blogged about it. Found him. But not the way you would think,

      *JP

      Delete
    14. Don't be so certain about your victory.

      Delete
  10. I would recommend you stay safe, but I don't think there is a safe place where you are. In any case, I hope you succeed in your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wondering, what exactly do you define as a Denizen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything humanoid, but not a Proxy or the Slender Man, that lives almost exclusively in the Path. Mostly, though, the name is attached to the Rake like creatures there.

      Delete
  12. I've just got back from clearing an infestation in Ireland, I have that old proxy we captured the other month so if you need him he's quite glad, I can't guarantee he'd die but he'd be glad to stick around New Zealand with you and Black or you could send him to one of our faculties and send him back my way we'll feed and water him.
    -Librarian Perierat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately with Black my budget is strained as it is. I'll take a blood sample, though. Look after him.

      Delete
    2. Well I say send over, he'd stay in the facility mainly, he's allowed walks and I think if you want to play with him he won't mind, very docile for an experienced proxy. If a 38 year old man showed up on your doorstep at regular intervals would it raise eyebrows, like big 38 and has a scar running down his cheek.
      -Librarian Perierat

      Delete
  13. Hows that book coming. Is black a real boy? Did short for writes make you something truly inspiring?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You ignored my warning thrice.
    Two have now payed the price.
    Three to go, who shall disappear?
    Who shall take the blame?
    And who shall seek revenge?
    I have spoken all I can to you.
    Time has come for me as well.
    My Fate is sealed.
    I will not survive to see the morrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...who are you? <:-S

      Delete
    2. Oh, and "payed" doesn't scan like that. You need to say 'payéd'.

      Delete
    3. What the fuck is going on?

      Delete
    4. Contessa and Weird Dead Prophet Dude, it's "payèd", with a grave accent, not an acute accent.

      Delete
    5. Ummmmm.... well......
      you're a grave accent! :(<

      Delete
    6. Oh. Well that explains everything

      Delete